1990’s Topic Presentation Assignment
Today’s agenda order:
- Pick a partner to work with on a 1990’s topic presentation. You may also go
solo and do all the work yourself.
- Each group will blind pick one index card with a number on it. This
number will determine the order in which we choose topics.
- When your group index card number is called, your group will
identify the topic you want. (You can create a topic not on the list with a reasonable explanation to me as to why you’ll want to do that topic.)
- Get a chromebook and begin researching your topic.
- Create a google slides presentation with your topic and last name
as the file name. (Ex: “Bill Clinton Presidency – Thomas/Smith)
- Share that presentation with me. (“Mark Sikora”)
- Begin a 10 slide presentation that covers the most important
aspects of your topic.
- Each slide should only have images or small video clips
- IF you choose to add some text to the slides, ONLY use bullet points.
- THE POINT IS: YOU WILL EXPLAIN THE TOPIC TO US, NOT READ TO US
- Remember to keep asking yourself the following as you prepare each slide: “What does this have to do with my topic?” “How/why is this important to my topic/1990’s?”
- Operation Desert Storm/Persian Gulf War
- Presidency of Bill Clinton (Successes/failures/biggest scandals)
- World Wide Web/The Internet
- Magic Johnson’s HIV announcement & impact
- Rodney King Beating/LA Riots
- Hurricane Andrew
- 1993 World Trade Center Bombing
- Branch Davidian Compound, Waco Texas
- Oklahoma City Bombing/Timothy McVeigh
- Somalia & American Soldiers Dragged Through the Streets
- Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Policy Policy (LGBTQ history)
- NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement)
- Reality TV
- The Bulls & Michael Jordan (you can just call him The GOAT)
- Sports Teams of the 1990s/Athletes
- Rap “Wars”/Battle (East Coast vs. West Coast, Biggie vs. 2Pac)
- Osama Bin Laden declares war on America
- OJ Simpson Trial/Acquittal
- 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia
- Ellen DeGeneres “comes out” on TV
- Dolly, The Sheep, first cloned mammal
- Columbine School Shooting
- Music of the 1990s
- The Y2K fear/Y2K bug
Timeline & Deadline
- Have your partner and topic picked and using the chromebooks/textbooks to
- Finishing research and piecing together your slide presentation in
preparation for your presentations.
REMINDER: No lengthy or wordy sentences in your presentation. Images should be the center of the slides…Your presentation will do the “talking”.
- Presentations begin. Each partner is responsible for equally participating. So,
5 slides per person makes sense, right?
- Presentations continued/completed. If you aren’t here to present on Thursday
or Friday, you will have to arrange to give your presentation after school on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
- Preparation /20 (10 pts/day)
If you don’t share your presentation with me when you begin working (Tuesday), I cannot monitor your progress and will assume you are not working.
- Each of the slides contains ample amounts of information and are relevant to
the topic: /20
- Presentation style of the presenters/Accuracy of info: /20
– each group member equally participates in presenting/explaining the topic to
the class. Articulate, clear understanding of the topic, etc.
- Attentiveness during other presentations: /20
If you are distracted during others presentations (on your phone,
headphones in, head down, sleeping, talking, other behaviors unbecoming)…you forfeit ALL OF THESE POINTS! (And it happens every year…don’t be the one…or two…or three.)