“America: The Story of Us – Cities”
- What country gave the Statue of Liberty to the United States?
- Why was New York City in danger of losing the Statue of Liberty soon after it arrived?
- Where did most immigrants arrive as they entered the United States?
- What critical ingredient was needed to build cities upward?
- How did Andrew Carnegie solve the problem of steel production?
- Where does Carnegie build his first steel plant?
- What was the other breakthrough that allowed buildings to grow so tall?
- What problems do many cities in America face by 1890?
- How was the problem of identifying criminals solved?
- What other problems were plaguing urban streets in the late 1800’s?
- What did Jacob Riis use to photograph the desperation of life in the slums of
- What was Riis trying to accomplish with his slide shows of tenement living?
- What were the first two steps accomplished by Riis in his photography?
- What is the biggest cause of disease in New York and other cities in America?
- Who were the “white ducks”?
- What were the results of Col. George Waring’s efforts in New York City and other cities
- What other improvements were made in American cities?
- What was Thomas Edison’s major invention?
- What obstacle did he have to overcome before he could perfect his invention?
- What material finally worked in his invention?
- Once Edison has invented the light bulb, what followed it?
- What problem was created when people worked in the tall buildings of cities?