Unit 2 study guide from Powerpoint
- The West is the area of the United States between the ______________ ______________ and the _____________ __________________.
- What attracted the first wave of settlers to the West?
- What is the difference between placer mining and quartz mining?
- What was Henry Comstock’s “big strike in Nevada”?
- Why was it common for settlements to shift from “boomtown” to “ghost town”?
- What were Vigilance Committees (Vigilantes)?
- Why was the sluice more efficient than panning for precious minerals?
- What attracted newcomers to present-day states of Colorado, North / South Dakota and Montana?
- How was the Texas Longhorn breed of cattle different from cattle in the East?
- What 2 developments gave ranchers reason to round up longhorns?
- Why do you think the destination cities at the end of the cattle trails are all located along railroad lines?
- What was the Long Drive?
- How did heavy investment in the cattle industry affect the industry as a whole?
- What is the name of this assignment?
- What geographic factors created challenges to the settlement of the Great Plains in the late 1800s?
- What factors attracted settlers to the Great Plains?
- What did the Homestead Act provide for settlers in the Great Plains region?
- What kind of inventions and new farming methods revolutionized agriculture in the Great Plains region?
- Where is the Wheat Belt region located?
- Why did farmers fall on hard times?
- What was the Oklahoma Land Rush?
- In what ways were different groups of Plains Indians similar?
- Why did settlers and Native Americans clash throughout the Great Plains region?
- What proposal did the Indian Peace Commission present to the Plains Indians?