“America: The Story of Us – Heartland”
- What was the biggest obstacle in the way of building the transcontinental railroad?
- Who were the two companies that built the railroad?
- How does the federal government pay for the railroad?
- Why were Chinese workers chosen to build the railroad?
- What happened on May 10, 1869?
- Where does the railroad trigger a mass migration to?
- How much of America’s land is given away under the Homestead Act?
- List several obstacles or challenges for settlers. (Get at least 5)
- What happened to half the population of western Nebraska by 1892?
- What happens to the Great Plains?
- What is “green gold”?
- Why do so many people come from Norway to America?
- How many buffalo were roaming the Great Plains in the 1800’s?
- What new hunter arrives on the Great Plains?
- Why is there conflict between white people and Indians over the buffalo?
- How did the horse change the Indian way of life?
- For what purpose did the cowboy develop?
- Where did the Texas Longhorn come from?
- What invention will threaten the cowboy’s way of life?
- What happened to the open range?
- How long did the “hay day” of the cowboy on the open range last?
- Where do most Indians wind up living as settlers moved west?
- What happened to Lt. Col. George Custer and his men?
- What happened on December 29, 1890?
- How did the railroad change time?
- How did Richard Sears change the way Americans shopped?